Thursday, August 4, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome and allow me to introduce myself. My name is Amanda Nila, and I am a registered dietitian in the state of Illinois. I have a bachelor's degree from Illinois State University in Family and Consumer Sciences: Food, Nutrition and Dietetics, and a Master's degree in Nutrition and Wellness from Benedictine University. I have past experience in community nutrition, nutrition education, medical nutrition therapy, and food service management. Although I am considered a food and nutrition expert, I am also an original foodie. Like most children before the health craze, I grew up spoiled by the endless variety of convenience food products. Never receiving a nutrition class, I was unaware of food and how it relates to nutrition for the body.  It wasn’t until college that I took a nutrition course and decided to major in this subject. Throughout my time learning about nutrition and wellness, my eating habits changed 180 degrees. I began exercising regularly, eating lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats, but the biggest challenge has been to get rid of my sweet tooth. I know you may be thinking that being a dietitian and having a sweet tooth seems like an oxymoron, but if I’ve learned anything, MODERATION is key to a balanced diet. I am the dietitian that will tell you that you do not have to give up the foods you love to be healthy. You can still eat your favorite foods, but I recommend always in moderation and balance your calorie intake with energy expenditure through exercise. That’s just a little spoonful about me.

I started this blog to document my food adventures and that is what I plan to do. This blog will include all things food, a sprinkle of nutrition, and a dash of wellness advice and a bite out of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment