Sunday, August 21, 2011

Run for it!


I was left in a debacle yesterday when I arrived at our gym and as I walked in the manager was putting up a sign that stated “We’re closed. Open again on Monday at 5 am.” Apparently, the gym flooded after a heavy rain storm that came through yesterday morning. I had to become a little more creative in my exercise routine, and so I decided to go take a run at the track surrounding a football field at the nearest park district. It actually turned out to be a great way to enjoy the beautiful weather, cool breezes and vibrant sun. I also managed to take a detour off the track, and I ran through the neighborhoods with charming houses and quaint sidewalks.

Running is a great cardio work out and is beneficial to the body if you can last 30 minutes to an hour. Some of the benefits include potential weight loss, improved cardiovascular and respiratory health (reducing the risk of cardiovascular and respiratory diseases), improved cardiovascular fitness, reduced total blood cholesterol, increased muscle mass and strengthening of bones. For new runners, it takes time to get into shape. The key is consistency and a slow increase in speed and distance. I’m not a runner by any means, but I’ve incorporated it into my exercise regimen. When I was building up my endurance, I found it very important to listen to your body. If I was finding it hard to breathe, I obviously knew I needed to slow down. When I found that the speed or distance wasn’t a challenge anymore, I would speed it up or run farther. The body adapts pretty quickly. Go at your own pace and don’t challenge yourself to much. It takes time. 

If you don’t like running, and you know you’ll never be a runner like I once thought, walking is always a great way to burn some calories too and has the same health benefits as running. Go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment